The Eden Health District (the District) is a government entity under the Local Health Care District Law (Statutes 1945, Chapter 932; Health and Safety Code, Division 23, Sections 32000 et seq., of the State of California). The District comprises the communities of Castro Valley, Hayward, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, and the unincorporated areas of Ashland, Cherryland and Fairview.
The District was established in 1948 by the residents of Castro Valley, Hayward, San Leandro and San Lorenzo, to build and operate Eden Hospital. The community hospital, known then as the Eden Township Hospital, opened its doors on November 15, 1954. Over the years, the hospital has grown to meet the ever-changing needs of the population – always responsive to the community because of its strong tradition of community input and public meetings. In 1976, the District Board voted to discontinue the collection of property taxes to support the hospital. The growth of programs and services without tax support was especially remarkable with the emergence of managed care and other regulatory forces that put financial strain on community hospitals.
In 1997, the District set out to find a partner in health care that shared its mission and its belief in community-based hospitals. After extensive research, public meetings and one of the largest special elections in the state of California, the District Board – supported by a favorable public vote – entered into an agreement with Sutter Health to create a not-for-profit corporation to operate the medical center. Since January of 1998, Eden Medical Center has operated as a private, not-for-profit medical center and an affiliate of Sutter Health.
Since our inception and in support of our mission, the District has invested more than $100 million to advance the health and well-being of our residents.