Eden Medical Center first opened its doors on November 15, 1954, thanks to the tireless efforts of a group of pioneers who pushed for creation of the Eden Health District and launched plans to build a public district hospital within its boundaries. Area voters overwhelmingly approved this blueprint for the future in June 1948. By late 1949 and November 1952, respectively, the proposed hospital’s first bond issues, totaling more than $2 million, were approved, additional state and federal funds were obtained, and Eden’s saga was under way.
The groundbreaking took place in November 1951. It quickly became obvious, however, that population growth in the area was even greater than anticipated. The outbreak of the Korean War fueled much of the new growth, as military personnel, defense workers and their families flooded into the region. In response, the District added to its original plan for a five-story structure with space for 149 licensed beds, resulting in a revised blueprint for a seven-story facility.
Throughout the decades, Eden Medical Center has expanded and changed it buildings, programs and services to meet the community’s healthcare needs. In 1997, the Board of Directors went to the voters of the District to ratify their decision to affiliate with Sutter Health. The successful vote opened a new chapter in Eden’s history.